Monday, June 10, 2013

My Spanish MOLC

After being introduced to MOOCs first hand, I decided to do something similar, but on a much smaller scale. To reflect the smaller scale, I decided to call it a Mini Online Learning Community (MOLC). 

In a previous post I mentioned that I would be setting up an opportunity for my university Spanish students (past, present, and future) to read a short novel together. I have set this up like a course on Piazza
and have invited students and colleagues. So far 24 students have joined. One is an alum, two are incoming freshmen, and the others are "continuing" students. The group also includes two of my colleagues in Spanish and a colleague who teaches Psychology at CUW.

The site for the group includes asynchronous threads for getting to know each other, for recommending articles, for recommending movies, and for Ernesto Sábato's psychological novel El túnel.

There hasn't been much participation yet, but incoming freshmen are just now finishing high school and continuing students probably need a break before diving back in. I imagine it will pick up--especially when we start the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment